lørdag 16. februar 2008

Saturday at the office

Well, here I am sitting in the office this Saturday morning, and I`m realizing that the internet connection is inactive. Today as well. My plan about reading mails and do some more research on clusterbombs is then spoiled, and instead I`ll try to dig down into some thick documents about organizational development. From the radio in the corner comes a fine mix of oriental tones, old hits and the hottest new rhythms from Beirut`s dancefloor. People are coming and going, and soon I`m expecting that some of the volunteers from the Red Cross Youth will drop by the office. The airconditioner is sending a stream of warm air right into my face, and from the hallway there`s a constant drone from construction work and from people talking. By now I`ve become used to this working environment, and I`m wondering how it will be to come back and work in Norway this summer. Maybe then I`ll have to bring my colleagues some Lebanese elements in order to make myself comfortable the first days or weeks. Hehe. I can feel that I`m a bit sleepy as well. The last week I`ve slept little and uneasy, and I suspect this is connected to all the recent movements in the ground plates. Monday night I woke up to find my whole bed shaking, and it took a little while before I understood that it was an earthquake and not some serious desorder on my balance nerve. It was a somehow strange experience. The quake measured around 4 on the r-scale, and struck the south and the nearby areas first and foremost. People I spoke to in the southern part of Lebanon told me that they hadn`t known any comparable quake for 40 years. Yesterday again the office furnitures started to shake, and this one was a bit more powerful that the other one. Our secretary colleague Milia can tell about several quakes the last two weeks, and with this I feel more convinced that my problems with sleeping lately has less to do with the increased level of shootings and political tension, and that they are more likely caused by seismological factors. Two volunteers from the Aaley center just entered the office, and they have brought pictures from our visit there. I think I`m gonna postpone the reading for a while, and instead pour myself a cup of tea:)

Ingen kommentarer: